11/13/2006

Argument #5764398

From the moment I found out I was pregnant, I felt that our bed situation needed some serious reconsideration. It was my theory that I deserved about 2/3 of the bed, because I was now two in one. John pointed out that the baby was quite small at the time, no larger than a grain of rice, actually, so my calculations might need to be reworked. But, I said, "I'm sleeping for two!"

Well, the bed situation hasn't improved too much, especially because of something I mentioned in my last post--each time I get up during the night, my dear hubby rolls to the center of the bed and falls into a deep sleep. When I return, it takes some serious coaxing to get him back to his proper location.

When we were in Michigan this summer, I managed to get poison Ivy. That first night after my diagnosis I woke in the middle of the night thinking, "Wow, I'm having my best night sleep in ages, poison ivy and all!" I looked over at John and in the moonlight I could see that he was clutching the edge of the bed, trying to stay as far away as possible. Even after I discovered that poison ivy rarely spreads from person to person, I liked to admonish him each night with, "Poison ivy is a HIGHLY contagious disease."

After the rash cleared up, I lost my best weapon. A few weeks ago, I came back to bed and found John in the dead center of the bed. Only this time, as a special bonus, not only was he sleeping in that forbidden region, but he was also talking in his sleep. I couldn't manage to wake him to get him to move over. I kept insisting, he kept hedging. He complained about the cold, I complained about the heat. I asked him, no begged him, to move over. And then he said, "Aw just put it in the archives as argument #5764398."

3 comments:

juliana said...

i love the "argument 5764398" that is so funny and so true i am sure if we counted all the arguments we have with our hubbys:)
I am eager to hear that you haev given birth!
Good Luck

Anonymous said...

Jen,

I have been thinking about you alot this week! Knowing a friend is about to give birth any second, sends me into a real tizzy.

All stories about you and Father John make me smile. Both of you are such a breath of fresh air! Thanks for the book recommendations. I am almost finished with "The Art of War" and it has been very inspiring!

Please post pictures of Natalie when she arrives. I am praying for you!

Love,
Molly

Anonymous said...

Hi-- I found your blog through Boundless.

I don't know if you read comments on old posts, but here goes:

I think the work of actually sleeping together (as opposed the the euphamistic sleeping together-- or more accurately in addition to it) is one of the things in marriage that takes practice to perfect. And it's something I've never seen mentioned in any pre-marital book.

I used to tease my husband that my dad would have gone after him if he saw how much I was "abused" by random legs and elbows.