6/04/2006

When God is Absent


I can't resist putting up another Bloom quote. This one is nourishing:

"The day when God is absent, when He is silent--that is the beginning of prayer. Not when we have a lot to say, but when we say to God, 'I can't live without you. Why are you so cruel, so silent?' This knowledge that we must find or die--that makes us break through to the place where we are in the Presence. If we listen to what our hearts know of love and longing and are never afraid of despair, we find that victory is is always there on the other side of it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a loaded quote, Its amazing how his perspective turns our desperation and feelings of utter dispair into something that can be of great benefit.

Unknown said...

Loved these quotes. In fact, it inspired me to read the entire book- devoured it whole and have been musing on it since. Right on the money.

anna j said...

Beautiful--thanks for sharing: Buechner-esque, from my as-yet-Bloom-unread perspective :-)
Also, OT, I thought of you tonight. I was making a book to the background of the TV and then had to look at the screen suddenly: the unmistakeably ethereal tunes of HEM were coming from, of all things, the TV. Not sure how I feel about this, but "half an acre" is now the theme song for an insurance commercial . . .