12/16/2007

vespers






















So we had Vespers on Saturday at a tiny Catholic church nearby. I totally fell in love with the church, sweet as it was against the blue sky, light pouring out from that little door. I just couldn't stop looking at it--and I didn't mind too much when Natalie fussed and I had to take her out, because then I could take it all in.

When we arrived there was a couple waiting to greet Fr. John with a lei and a fruit basket with limes and grapefruit from their yard. They had been responsible for much of the recent repairs to the church, and they beamed as they spoke about how they'd been restoring it over the past six months.

Fr. John wasn't there yet and this wasn't our normal church, so some people were worried he might miss the driveway. One the founding members of the mission went down to the road to wait for him, and I called to make sure Fr. John knew where to turn. Fr. John said, "Oh no--are people waiting for me?" When I repeated this question to the man beside the road he turned and said, "We've been waiting for him for years."

4 comments:

Ser said...

What a beautiful church. And I love the ending of this post. You and your family are clearly where you are supposed to be--if only it was closer to me!

Molly Sabourin said...

It must feel so good to meet a need in that way! I am happy for your new parishioners knowing firsthand how refreshing a gift your family really is to all those you come into contact with. Enjoy each and every moment of this experience!

Molly Sabourin said...

It must feel so good to meet a need in that way! I am happy for your new parishioners knowing firsthand how refreshing a gift your family really is to all those you come into contact with. Enjoy each and every moment of this experience!

jennyc said...

These little gems of churches are so beautiful. Thank you for your words Jenny.